Voters have the power to make a difference
We don’t have to accept the status quo. As voters, we have the opportunity to “let the sunshine in” and bring important government decision-making out of the shadows.
More openness will actually build public trust in the process and our democratic institutions. I-1608’s purpose is simple. It’s a declaration that:
- We all have a right to know what government is doing
- We all deserve a seat at the table
- Important public business shouldn’t be done behind closed doors, with only political insiders knowing what’s going on
– In a democracy, the people and the press hold government accountable. I-1608 means we can watch our public officials as they make important decisions.
– Closed negotiations breed mistrust in government. Public officials sit down across the table from the very organizations that helped elect them. The voters deserve to sit at that table, too.
– “Sunshine is the greatest disinfectant.” I-1608 increases government transparency and builds public trust.